If you are considering installing solar panels in your home or business as a source of energy, we give you some additional information that can be very helpful in making a decision.
What is a solar panel?
A solar panel is a mechanism that converts the solar rays that it receives directly into usable energy for immediate use or storage of it. There are two primary classes of solar panels:
- Photovoltaic solar panels: The function of these panels is to convert the sun’s rays into electrical energy and they are composed of a compilation of silicon solar cells. It is the most functional for a house or company.
- Solar thermal collectors: In the case of these panels their function is to directly absorb the energy of the sun as thermal energy. The utility of this system is smaller and is used for example to heat the water of the house or company.
Advantages of the solar panel
Solar panels have many environmental advantages and for direct users. These are some of the most important benefits of photovoltaic energy in a house:
- The solar panels are clean, silent and do not harm the environment.
- It saves a lot of energy, which at the end of the month can be easily appreciated.
- The installation of this renewable energy system is very fast.
- The necessary maintenance is minimal, also offering a long period of useful life.
- After the initial investment in a matter of a few years, it will have amortized the initial cost and will have electricity practically free.
- In rural areas or far from power lines they allow electricity without depending on these systems
- Probably the most important advantage is that it is the only system that allows a continuous renewable energy supply whether it is sunny or not.
Disadvantages of the solar panel
Today, the disadvantages of electrical panels are few and the technology is improving every time, increasing performance at a lower cost.
Although the renewable energy obtained through the photovoltaic cells benefits the environment, its manufacture still depends on non-clean energies, with which on that side it has a negative impact on the environment.
The cost of the investment is high since it is a relatively new renewable energy system and the demand is still not enough to reduce costs considerably, although they are gradually reducing.
It has certain consumption restrictions because it can not use more energy than accumulated in times of low sun.
Another drawback is the aesthetics, since the panels are not particularly beautiful.
There are some common questions asked by someone who is thinking about installing solar panels in their home or company. These are some:
- What is the lifetime of the installation?
Its duration is about 30 years or more, even the main manufacturers of solar panels offer guarantees of 20 to 25 years.
- How long does it take to amortize the investment?
It depends especially on the geographical area and the size of the installation, the average amortization period is 5 years.
- How much money can be saved?
Once the installation is amortized, the cost of energy is practically zero. Each one must make their own calculation based on what they currently spend.
- What happens if it’s cloudy many days?
In order for solar panels to produce electricity, they only need the presence of light (photons) to reach the panel and not the radiation directly on it, therefore also on cloudy days a certain level of energy continues to be generated.
Source: RM ELECTRONICS COMPONENTS
If you want more information about the range of products related to solar energy that we can supply them (photovoltaic solar panels, voltage regulators, DC / AC inverters, batteries, refrigerators and freezers); Do not hesitate to contact CARRIZO ASESORES.